Samstag, 03. Dezember 2016


  • Pressemitteilung BoxID 155854

"Gebhard's Crosier, Admont Monastery"

(lifePR) (Wien, ) The Benedictine monastery at Admont, founded in 1074 by Archbishop Gebhard of Salzburg, is the oldest surviving monastery in Styria. It is located at the entrance to the Gesäuse National Park, within an impressive and attractive natural landscape. Alongside the largest monastery library in the world, the monastery also houses a modern museum; in addition, regular special exhibitions present baroque and modern architecture, art from the Middle Ages to the present and early manuscripts and prints. For centuries, the monastery has been not only the religious centre of Upper Styria, but also a centre for arts and science. In 1120, a Benedictine convent was attached to the monastery, but was dissolved in the Reformation period. After a varied history and the decline of the monastery as a result of the Turkish wars and the Reformation, the Counterreformation led to a revival of the monastery.

Like the bishops and the superiors of the other prelate orders, the abbots of the Benedictine monastery also carry the crosier on special occasions, above all at solemn liturgical ceremonies, as a sign of their dignity and their office as spiritual leader and shepherd. This symbol is also referred to in Latin as "Baculus", "Pedum" and "Pastorale", all of which can be translated as crosier. One such pastorale has survived in Admont Monastery as one of the oldest of its kind, dating from the late 12th century; however, all that remains from this time are the parts made of ivory, the crook ("curva") and the pommel ("nodus").The shaft was replaced with one made of ivory in the course of restoration work in the 1950s. The crook and the pommel were beyond doubt made in a carving workshop in the Arabian-Sicilian region. The delicate crook, with a diameter of slightly over 10 cm, is tapered and was once decorated with precious stones on the sides; it ends in an animal's head curving outwards. Its almost circular closed arc contains a somewhat damaged winged horse, carrying a milkwort in its mouth. In an inventory of the sacristy dating from 1659, the staff is entered as "Fundatoris Pastorale" ("the Founder's crosier"), which is intended to present it as a relic of the founder of the monastery, Archbishop Gebhard of Salzburg. However, the latter died in 1088. What we do know is that this, like the even more recent "Gebhard Mitre", was part of the efforts to establish a connection between a long reputed precious ecclesiastical ornament and the highly venerated person of the founder.

Diese Pressemitteilungen könnten Sie auch interessieren

Spiel und Spaß in "Kernie's Winter-Wunderland"

, Familie & Kind, Wunderland Kalkar

Während der Feiertage gibt es wieder eine Menge im Wunderland Kalkar zu erleben! Besonders die Kleinen dürfen sich freuen, denn vom 25. bis einschließlich...

Magie mit einer Prise Glitter und Glamour - elfenhafte Weihnachts- und knallbonbongute Silvesterarrangements

, Familie & Kind, Wunderland Kalkar

Das Wunderland Kalkar ist ein Ort, der Träume Wirklichkeit werden lässt. Wer einmal hier war, weiß um den Zauber, der den beliebten Hotel-, Business-...

Oktopus Adventskalender : „ Nacharmen“ unmöglich !

, Familie & Kind, Merlin Entertainments Group Deutschland GmbH

Kennt nicht jeder Jemanden, der zu ungeduldig ist, in der Adventszeit täglich nur ein Türchen seines Kalenders zu öffnen, und stattdessen immer...

Disclaimer